need an answer, or have a question?
frequently asked questions.
- what is somatic therapeutics?
- how long do sessions last?
- what can I expect during my initial session?
- how many sessions does it take to feel better and see change in my life?
- how do you work?
- what issues do you work with?
- what types of bodywork do you offer ?
- how do I know if a therapist is right for me?
- what is your cancellation policy?
- somatic therapeutics differs from other therapeutic methods in that it embraces the entire person to relieve suffering.
we engage this holistic approach from the point of view that our consciousness and intelligence exist not only in our mind
but also in our body. satisfying and lasting change result when we include all aspects of our self in the process.
- sessions are 60 or 90 minutes for individuals and 90 or 120 for couples. i offer competitive rates on a sliding scale
for somatic therapy, education, coaching, or bodywork. i am happy to discuss specifics during our initial phone call.
- during the initial session, starting from wherever you are when you come in, you will begin moving in the direction
of increased well-being, pleasure and choice. along the way, i will gather important information for use in our work
together. we will discuss the changes that you would like to make and what is getting in the way of your success,
happiness, and well-being as an individual or in your relationships. by the end of the first session, each of us
will have some sense of what it's like to work together. if we are unable to work together for any reason, i will
provide appropriate referrals to other professionals.
- you will begin to feel better during the first session. the length of time we work together in total depends on
your individual goals and needs. after learning more about you and what you would like to be different in your life,
i may be able to provide you with a better idea of how long the therapeutic process will take. you may end therapy
at any time. it is always your choice.
- the work is collaborative and will almost always engage dialogue, movement, breath and sound--those are the built-in
ways that we, as bodies, utilize to make change. the first rule of Zapchen Somatics, is: do not do anything you
don't want to do. if you do not want to do something but think you should do it because it will be good for you,
then i ask that you object to doing it before you do anything (we have all sorts of playful ways to do that).
the movements and exercises are simple. i utilize a variety of clinical tools to assist clients in moving towards
well-being while exploring challenges.
- i have experience working with a variety of issues including: life changes and transitions, relationship issues and
sexuality, illness, death and dying, grief, depression, and anxiety. please inquire if you have questions about my
ability to help with a particular issue. if i do not have adequate experience with your individual needs, I can
provide referrals to more appropriate providers.
- conjunctio bodywork and massage uses a combination of traditional massage therapy, cranial-sacral manipulation,
fascial release, acupressure, and Zapchen Somatics, depending on your body's needs. sessions are either cloths-on or
cloths-off depending on your preference.
- many factors are considered when determining whether or not a therapist is a good fit for you:
(1) you want to feel comfortable with whomever you work. (2) you want to feel heard and understood.
(3) you want to have a clear sense that they can help you. (4) feel free to ask any question that
will help you decide whether or not we should work together. if we are unable to work together for any reason,
i will provide more appropriate referrals.
- my cancellation policy is 24 hours in advance. if you are unable to give 24-hour notice, you may be charged your full